Monday, February 27

spectacular


This is the Sheikh Zayed Grand Mosque here in Abu Dhabi. Yesterday we went along on the walking tour and I have to say it is truly one of the most amazing places I have ever visited.


All pure white marble and gold which is coated in glass to protect it.


The domed ceiling of the entrance gate


Beautiful tiles




 Half of the internal courtyard with inlaid marble in amazing colours


 The entry lobby to the mosque



Flowers are very important culturally and are everywhere, believed to resemble heaven




There are two of these magnificent light fittings, one at each end of the main prayer hall


Half of the main prayer hall which will hold approx 20000


all calls to prayer for every mosque in Abu Dhabi come from here.
I will pop more photos on tomorrow

3 comments:

Chookyblue...... said...

this is amazing...........thanks for sharing........

tamaraerbacher said...

Oh the work in that 5th image is so beautiful - these images bring back memories of my very short time spent in Dubai when I was cabin crew for Emirates - beautiful, xxt.

Susie said...

Wow! Would love to see it in the flesh (well not literally as I wouldn't be allowed would I?). I wonder how hot that marble gets outside? That's a lot of carpet too! 20,000 people traipsing through - wonder if they have had to change it yet!!?