Skip to main content

As the dollar continues to drop...


Internet shopping is no new craze, especially in the patchwork industry. It’s been a struggle for a lot of shops to stay afloat and I think that’s becoming even clearer with shops sadly closing their doors.

Now, I never buy fabric online. I know you’re thinking “why would she? Look where she works!” but it is more than that. I bought fabric online once. Something we didn’t stock; a Hello Kitty fat quarter off an eBay seller. When it arrived it was a poor quality fabric. It doesn’t feel like 100% cotton even though the seller says it is. It’s somewhat shiny, it frays like you would not believe and it’s a different red to what I thought it would be. I have used this fabric in a hand sewn project and it’s not nice to sew. Basically… the fabric is a disaster and for me, that’s too much of a risk. I would rather touch and feel the fabrics I buy and yes, this fat quarter of fabric was cheap but I won’t use it any more so cheap or not, it was a total waste of my money.
We stock a large selection of plains.

I wonder how often this happens to others. I picture somebody with a stash of fabrics, some they love and others that aren’t quite what they expected. The quality might be excellent, but the colour just isn’t right or the print is bigger than thought at time of purchasing.

It’s been hard to compete with such low prices being offered in other countries. The ace up our sleeve though is our customer service and I’ve been wondering with our dollar dropping, and postage rates going up if people will turn off the computer and get in the car to their local again.

And a lovely range of Liberty.

Now I can only speak for us here at Amitie, but we’re always happy to help you work on fabric selection, calculate measurements and get you just the right amount of fabric you need for the specific project in mind. If you have a UFO with fabrics from your stash, bring it in! Bought fabric elsewhere? We don’t mind… we might have just the right print to bring it to life. The kettle is always on and the girls who work here are all lovely and very talented!

We’re always working hard to have new, exciting things and we make a huge effort to get things on the shelf at the lowest price possible. It might not be as cheap as a foreign website, but if you only need 20cm and you know it’s the right colour/texture/quality then you might be surprised at how much money you manage to save...


So, what have you got to lose?

See you in the store!
xoxo
Lucy

Comments

Andi said…
Bloody good point Lucy!!
xx
bellalily said…
There are so many patchwork stores that have closed this year :( - Everyone should support the brick and mortar stores as they create community and this is what it is about. When a store closes, opportunities for classes and groups go with them as does the EXPERTISE and INSPIRATION- i would hate to see a store like Amitie Textiles close, it would be a great loss.
Karen Riley said…
Lucy, I completely agree with you. However, I must confess, I bought my first online purchase just a few months ago. Bring Me Flowers which led to the BFF patterns, and then there's the bundle pack to go with BFF. Now im online ordering your stash club! I only go online because I cant get your fabric here and I cant get to y'all from Texas!
On another note, in Texas, we have a "support your small businesses" day. You are encouraged to buy from your local stores instead of the big chain-stores. Best of luck to
yall! You are fast becoming my favorite "local" quilt store!!
Kristine said…
Well said Lucy. I dropped in for the first time in ages last week. I found the perfect fabric to line a girl's coat I was making. The colour match was perfect - something I would not have been able to determine online. I have definitely had the experience of ordering online, only to be disappointed when the parcel arrives. It happens more often than not.
TrudyS said…
As soon as I move house and have some spare cash to splash, I will be on the doorstep at Amitie. Yes we need to support our bricks and mortar stores buying online is not half as much fun as being able to touch and experience the fabrics besides the wonderful customer service!
not only am I in a rain drought...........I also live in a constant fabric shop drought...........my nearest is 1.5hrs away.........not the best shop but not the worst.........wished I was closer to you........one day I may get there........
verykerryberry said…
I am in the UK and I buy almost entirely online. I live in a small city and the fabric shops are very limited and not always the friendliest places-and they tend to be quite traditional and reflect the taste of the owners. I wish I could support them more and I do buy notions, interfacing when I can but online has given me much more. I know many UK online fabric shops can't open b+m stores because shop rents are so high.
Maree: said…
Unfortunately we only have 1 or 2 Quilt Shops here on the Gold Coast...time doesn't allow to travel to Brisbane and all the suburbs looking for shops...
Thankful we have shops like yours where we can rely on good service and quality fabrics
Thankyou
Sandra Rocco said…
I agree with the principle of what you say, but when there are no good patchwork shops in your area, you still want to be able to enjoy the variety of fabrics that are available to everyone else in the world.
To a great extent, I believe the internet has helped promote the craft of patchwork by spreading so many ideas and showing everyone what can be achieved.
Bricks and mortar shops can't possibly stock the selection of fabrics available online. I think the shops should concentrate on doing workshops and help people expand their knowledge of the craft.
Informal Sports said…
Hey i am for the first time here. I found this board and I in finding It truly helpful & it helped me out much. I am hoping to offer one thing again and aid others such as you aided me.


Best Cccam Server
Jodi said…
Oh, how I WISH I could visit your store but I'm from the US. I DO, however, buy online from time to time (case in point - I've purchased from you and I'm a member of your Liberty club, but I DO also visit my LQS frequently and appreciate all they do. I also love following your blog!
Kate said…
Just don't forget us Aussie online stores. Just because we are online doesn't mean we can't provide awesome service, and we also struggle against all the overseas shops. The dollar dropping is good for Aussie stores if it helps people shop local, but then our fabric costs go up...its a tough business to be in.

Popular posts from this blog

Delilah - Lucy's Journey - Part 1

A fair while ago, when working through the Delilah patterns I thought "yeah... I might just make this".
After a quick brain storm with the Boss Lady/Mum, I decided why not! But it has to be different, we thought because we have no use for 2 quilts that look very similar. So, what could I do? That's when my eyes landed on my always growing stash of Liberty.
PERFECT!
March arrived and so did our stock of templates, and off I went...
My, my, my Delilah.

You have brought me to a few firsts so I think some confessions need to me made.

1. I have never pieced a curve.

Nope...  No sir! Not one.
Curves have always scared me. I could never wrap my head around them but the Boss Lady...

She loves them!

I mean... she really LOVES them!

Or maybe she just loves cruel and unusual punishment like this block?!
Just an idea.

Curves conquered.
But wait, there's more (confessions and curves!)

2.  I don't* own an iron.

Ha. Yup!
I managed to get to a few days shy of 30 years old without…

A little eye candy

A very lovely, Susan, e-mailed us her version of JKD Green Tea and Sweet Beans.



We love it!
She made it at a shop in USA called Sewing Party. Amazing!

THE TRUTH ABOUT CATS AND DOGS…

Well, no. Not really! It’s more the truth about Amitie.
{The shop}
We never write on this blog. We want to but it’s always at the bottom of the very long to do list and it gets bumped. Bumped to the next day, next week (maybe even next year going by the last post… eeek!)

So why now? Why this post? We keep hearing things on the quilty grapevine. Things we mostly laugh at amongst ourselves because they’re so silly. But, recently there’s been a few that have made me think that some of these rumours could be a little damaging to our little fabric store so I using this platform to set the record straight.
{Daisy Do - Pattern from Quilt Lovely by Jen Kingwell, templates available now}
Here are the three biggies answered straight from the horse’s mouth (neigh!)!
“I heard you’re closing?!”
NEGATIVE!
Never been on the cards.
How this started I do not know. Maybe because the building we are housed in sold, which is the truth but the little rumour that followed is just gossip. We will be moving ag…